Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Review of The Voice New Testament

I have mixed feelings about "The Voice" edition of the English Bible. I think I can unreservedly call it a Bible, because itis actually based on the original Greek, whereas some modern "Bibles" are more like commentaries or someone's personal opinion of what the Bible means (okay, I confess, I'm not a big fan of The Message). But "The Voice" has struck a unique balance that I'm not sure I've seen before. They have definitely inserted opinions and commentary into the text of the Bible to help (we hope, anyway) readers who either struggle with reading English or struggle to understand some of the theological or cultural concepts in the Bible because of the great distance in time and culture between the first readers of the Bible and modern readers. BUT, they have put such comments into italics, so that the reader knows that the explanatory phrases and clauses were not in the original. They also put something like study notes periodically in the columns of verses, but they're offset something like a call-out of a quotation in a magazine article. Personally, I found this Bible distracting, because I was forever comparing its very modernized colloquialisms with the more formal English editions that I was used to. Oh, and another distracting thing--in the Gospels, they introduce each speaker "script-style." When the disciples speak, you see "DISCIPLES:" in the text next to the verse, instead of a narrative-style "And the disciples said to Jesus..." So, I will not likely use this Bible regularly for myself. I'm not as hesitant to give it, however, to someone who has very limited reading skills, or perhaps struggles to comprehend newspaper-level English. For someone like that, I think this Bible would be a good option; certainly, it would be better than something like The Message. I review for BookSneeze®

No comments:

Post a Comment